Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Big Beach Show Adventure

Got back yesterday from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware after participating in the Rehoboth Art League’s 40th Annual Outdoor Fine Art and Fine Craft Show. I’d been in a couple of small, local tent shows here in Chapel Hill years ago but this was something of a different order.

The League is situated on a large, beautifully maintained lot only a few hundred feet from the ocean. You can’t see it or hear it, but you know the ocean is nearby. You see it in the sand-and-surf-tolerant plant life. You can feel it and smell it in the wind that blows through the pines, and grand oaks, and magnolias that shade the RAL estate. More colorfully, I experienced the ocean through the dress and mannerisms of the hundreds of beachcombers, both resident and vacationer, that paid $5 to walk through the show.
From the look of it, Rehoboth Beach draws a fairly wealthy crowd of folks. I won’t try to guess how many pairs of poodles both large and small that pranced past my tent. But there were more than I’d ever seen in a two-day period. Maybe ever.
Over 100 artists showed their work over the weekend – all under their own 10’ x 10’ white tents. For the most part, the work I saw was good or a little better. There weren’t as many fine and talented artists as I had hoped but there were enough. Most seem to make a life if not a living, travelling from place to place, weekend after weekend, selling their work at similar events.

I imagined them a band of gypsies pitching their treasure tents each weekend, selling their art, and then breaking camp to work in solitude throughout the week. And then packing up their work, their tent, their display boards, and hand outs, and driving to the next venue where they rejoin the tribe and do it all again.

To me they were friendly, serious folks and I enjoyed getting to know them the bit that I did. I say “the bit” because mostly, everyone stays tethered to their tent at these events to talk to visitors/hoped for buyers.
Gum prints aren’t that common so more often than not, whenever and wherever I show, the most frequent questions are “What is it,” and “How do you do it.” Occasionally there’s more -- aesthetics and art talk are always welcome -- but mostly people ask, “What is it” and “How do you do it.” The first question is easy enough to answer. People who ask that one just want to know if it’s a photograph.

But the second question is a real challenge: how to do justice to a printing process that is both arcane and seriously slow in the making without making it too long or complicated for the person asking the question. It’s a balancing act that I’m always modifying and tweaking.

And on that note, back from my big beach show adventure, I return to making new prints to show somewhere down the line.

See my website:  woodsedge.net

No comments:

Post a Comment